Streethay

 

An ancient township

Streethay, situated to the immediate east of Lichfield, is one of the ancient townships associated with the Lichfield area having historical records dating back to at least 1327. The area was originally two hamlets, Streethay and Morughale, although the latter is now lost with no traces or relics able to be found.

Some buildings in the hamlet have ancient lineage including the site of the Manor House, to the North of Streethay with its adjacent mediaeval fish ponds still in existence. the site of which is thought to have been inhabited in the mid-13th Century and Brownsfield farm which may have its origins in the 17th century. Other old properties include Streethay Lodge and a row of 12 houses opposite and Yew Tree House.

The name Streethay means an enclosure by a Roman road, which runs through the hamlet and was called Broadway in the early 13th Century and Stony Street in 1375. It is now known as Burton Old Road, leading into Burton Road and the A38. The Roman road is part of the Roman Rykneld Street and its straight course is easily traced on maps.

Streethay was originally a township within St, Michael’s parish, in Lichfield, and over the centuries it has had several boundary changes. It was converted to a civil parish in 1934. In 1983 the parish was amalgamated with its larger neighbour, Alrewas, to form Alrewas & Fradley with Streethay Parish Council and subsequently Fradley and Streethay split from Alrewas to form the present day Civil Parish Council. The two areas retain their separate boundaries to this day.

Impact of transport

The parish has been influenced by all the major transport networks including the canals, with boats today berthing at Streethay Wharf on the Coventry Canal and two platforms at Trent Valley Railway Station for the West Coast Main Line route from London to Scotland and the Cross-City Line route from Redditch to Lichfield via Birmingham. It is bordered to the south by the A38 major trunk road.

There is little industrial activity in the area. There is a water pumping Station. A brewery / Malt House was once situated on Burton Road with the row of workers cottages still standing and Streethay was inhabited by W.R.A.F. personnel serving at Fradley airfield during the Second World War using the area to the south west of the Anchor public house. The Anchor public house (closed at the present time) has been on this site since 1824.

There are two canal marinas nearby with boat hire being available to the north of Streethay

The Present and the Future

Up to recently the population of Streethay had grown little over the years with a little over 220 homes. The new Government policy of encouraging development on green field sites will result in around 750 new homes being built to the north on the Parish with facilities for a new school, social and commercial facilities and a care home. To the South there is a zone for commercial use earmarked in the 1980’s by Lichfield District Council with a multimillion pound new bridge over the railway being provided by the Local Enterprise Partnership.

Lichfield is increasingly popular as a commuter town with Trent Valley Station providing regular services to London and the North West / Scotland and a commuter service to Birmingham and beyond. Many towns and shopping areas are a short drive away.

 

Misty field

River